Common Causes for Fire Damage
Fire damage happens in homes all of the time and we here at Built know how devastating the damage can be. The probability of a house fire is much higher than one would think. Knowing this, we would like to list some common causes, so that you can be aware of the potential hazards that exist in a home. Some causes are fairly obvious, but being aware of them and preparing where you can, will help you be ready if you are ever in a situation where fire damage has effected your home. Also, as always, if you have any questions or have damage from a fire currently in your home, feel free to call us here at Built.
1. Not Paying Attention While Cooking
- We’ve all done it and sometimes it can be a disaster. If you can’t watch what you are cooking, asking for help could prevent a horrible situation.
2. Electrical Current/Devices/Faulty Wiring
- Wiring for plugged in devices can go bad and wear out. If you suspect this is going on, its best to replace the appliance.
3. Candles Left Lit
- Try to never leave a candle burning. Candle flames can catch other things nearby quite easily.
- Cigarette butts and other products, if not put out correctly, can lead to starting a fire.
- Using a BBQ incorrectly can be devastating. Make sure everything is connected correctly and you are using it in an area that is safe.
- Try to keep lighters and other devices out of the reach of children.
8. Flammable Liquids
- Flammable liquids all have proper storage instructions listed on the container. Follow these directions carefully to prevent a potential explosion.
9. Christmas Trees
- We have all seen the videos. Lacing a tree with electrical wiring can be a bad scenario and these trees go up in flames very quickly. Make sure to put your tree up very carefully.
10. Dryer Duct/Lint
- Lint built up in the ducts of a dryer are very flammable. Easily used as tinder, if neglected, dryer lint can cause a fire.